It doesn’t have to be perfect. It just has to work. At the beginning, that is.
In the book The 7 Levels of Change, which has gone through 3 reprints and sold out, Rolf Smith shares that they are:
- Effectiveness. Do the right thing.
- Efficiency. Do the things right.
- Improving. Do the things better.
- Cutting. Do away with some things.
- Copying. Doing what other people are doing.
- Copying. Doing what no one else is doing.
- Impossible. Doing what cannot be done.
For the purpose of our discussion here, only the first item is key. We can shelf the rest for now.
Effectiveness. Do the right thing. It doesn’t have to be perfect. It just has to work.
I recommend the 80/20 Pareto Principle. When you are 80% ready, just do it. It will take a lot more time to “perfect” the final 20%. If everyone focused on being perfect, nothing much will get done in this world.