This one is an epic failure. Given that it’s an adaptation, I was honestly expecting a lot more. But this production fails on many levels. And it could be SOOOOO much better.
The production is an adaption of a comic (manhwa), which is an adaption of a novel (published 1983) written by Hwang Mi Na. I have not read the novel, neither have I seen the comic. However, scriptwriters tend to pick out the better ones (i.e. clearly popular ones) to adapt into a script.
BUT. There were so many mistakes, glaring mistakes. If only they had a script doctor… I’m reeling in shock how they could allow this to go into broadcast. Ugh.
I’m up to ep 5 at this time of writing. The mistakes:
- Teaser act at the beginning of ep 1
- Unnecessary scenes aplenty
- Necessary scenes missing
- Because of #2 and #3 above, the story jumps from here to there, in bits and pieces, borderline comprehensible.
- There is no sense of time, even though things moved chronologically
- You call this as thriller?! (it is classified under genre “Thriller”)
- Nothing thrilling, nor captivating.
- Lee Jin Wook (이진욱) seems to have lost his touch here. He was a hell lot better in Nine: Nine Times Travel
I wonder how the original story flows, given that it was once popular in the 1980s. In any case, based on the story I’ve watched so far, there is definitely a story to tell, but this production doesn’t do the story justice. And I say that with a big sigh.